Instead of the pictures from my wonderful weekend in Paris (which got postponed...) I am posting today to alleviate some stress. If you know my children, you probably don't have to think hard about which child causes me stress:
The windows in our house open with the swing of a lever and don't have screens on them. Great for airing your house out, bad for children like Landon. The 3rd day we were in the house (right after we met our next door neighbors and I had hoped and prayed to make the neighbors think we were normal....) instead of getting his pjs on as asked, he went into Charlotte's room at the back of the house and climbed out the window onto the roof. My new neighbor discovered him and almost had a heart attack trying to alert me of my son's whereabouts. The second incident was last week when, after having been sent to his room for painting he and Charlotte with my red sparkly nail polish, Landon proceeded to try and climb out his window at the front of the house. I think he would have succeeded had it not been for another kind neighbor across the street running over and saying, "I don't want to be a nosy neighbor but your son is climbing out the window." FABULOUS. Mother of the Year Award here I come. So, that brings us to today when, after thinking the kids were all tucked in for a nap, I see Bit, Landon's bear, fall from the sky into the front yard. I'm thinking Bit was a test run for Landon to see where he would land because by the time I got upstairs Landon had catapulted himself halfway out the front window.
So, there you have it, the constant source of most of my stress and the reason why every house in the neighborhood has dubbed us "The Crazy Americans." Anyone have any really good "natural" consequences for climbing out of windows??

20 comments:
You are not alone, my kids have been on the roof too. It is so scary when you go out and find them so high on the roof. They have window stoppers you can buy that prevent the window from opening up all the way. They are so nice!
your picture at the top cracks me up. sorry no advice yet on kids climbing out of windows. good luck!
Sorry, no ideas here! But, the picture cracks me up:) I guess you'll be buying or inventing some sort of locking mechanism for those windows?
LOVE the picture! You should frame it! I wish I had some advice for you. Threats and punishments don't seem to affect my kids either. Luckily they have never climbed out the window. Maybe that's because they noticed right off that they would plummet to their death if they did.
P.S. I'm sorry you didn't get to go to Paris. What happened?
Sorry to hear you didn't get to go to Paris. As for the whole climbing out window thing...good luck. I would try to tell you a punishment that would work but I haven't found one the works for my kids yet.
I don't know what you should do. Just pray for a double dose of that mother's intuition stuff. Just so you don't feel alone though, we have also been labeled "The Crazy Americans". The earlier you embrace the label the happier you'll be. Secretly, most of those Europeans out there admire your courageous lifestyle. I hope your little ones make it through. Good luck!
I shouldn't laugh, but how can I not? Thanks for helping me to not feel like the only one who is completely clueless as to how to parent appropriately in some situations. Unfortunately, I have no good ideas . . .time for some sort of locks. .which Landon would probably also be able to get around. In that case, hopefully your neighbors will continue to watch the crazy American family's home and help avoid any major injuries. Sorry, I'm still laughing!
Oh my...what a monkey! I am sooo sorry!! I have to admit though that you had me laughin gout loud. Bit the bear did me in!...but the picture was a close second...you're a riot! :) You've got some good advice so far with the locks...wish I could help in some way. I always dream of being the super mom example to save the day....but no such luck so far. Keep that Landon safe...I sure love him to bits!
I wish I could tell you what to do, but the person you need to talk to is MY mom... Seriously every time you tell me a story about Landon, I laugh because my little brother Dallin has done EVERY SINGLE thing that Landon has done... including climbing out the windows onto our roof. (with neighbors yelling "there is a baby on the roof" he was 2 the first time he did it) My mom tied the chairs around the table, got rid of bar stools, or anything he could use to reach the windows and got all sorts of special locks for doors and windows... Prevention was the key!
Oh, you poor sweet thing. I've got NUTHIN' for you. I'm thinking the lock solution is a little tame for Landon. So, I'm thinking more along the lines of one of those invisible fences that they have for dogs, yeah? You put it up on each window, and put a shock collar on Landon so that each time he heads for a window, he gets a minor jolt :)
And now I can picture you laughing, but everybody else who reads your blog and the comments being utterly mortified at such a suggestion. I'll probably get nasty notes on my blog :)
Whatever you decide to do, please keep copious notes for me. I don't know if I spent too much time around you and Landon while I was pregnant, or what, but Nolan's already giving me a run for my money, and I think it's only a matter of time until he officially proclaims Landon as his #1 idol.
We have a rascal who we were certain would grasp that idea someday, too. We got window locks that allow them to be open only two inches or so at IKEA. Maybe not a consequence, but peace of mind at least!
yikes! sometimes i am so scared for max to grow up! :-)
Hilarious, but at your expense. Sorry! Thanks so much for sharing this trial of yours; it gave me quite a chuckle. I wish I had some advice. Gilbert says, "Second children can be real stinkers." He was a second child! :)
Maybe you should plant some nice cushioning type of plants under the windows? You might have to install gates on the outside of the windows that, hopefully he can't his little body through. I don't even know if you can do that.
Or you can always invent the one thing I always said I would-- the velcro wall with child suits. Put him in one- it should zip down the back, of course. Then you can throw him up on the wall for naptime or whenever you can't watch him closely enough.
Although, he might think it was too fun. Anyways.....
As for punishment, what does he love the most? Take it away.
Does he hate anything? Make him do what he hates. i.e. Matthew hates to be alone-and not talked to.
Each child needs a different approach, but I find that the hate/love idea works and has to be reworked when it loses its effect. Sometimes you have to really be creative!!! Good luck!
the picture is hilarious!
no real solutions hear, punishments and consequences don't really work in my house...I'm searching for my own answers to my child stress - nothing works, even taking away toys, it makes him disobey even more...sometimes in my threat to "kill"-you know I never would-the kid I just start laughing in a silly, histerical laugh or throw a question at him that makes no sense and can be laughed at-then there's no punishment, but after laughing I can teach the principle of what-NOT-to do in the instance before us...although it can't be used everytime so it may not be a solution...sorry not much help after all the ramble
btw, sorry you didn't get to go to paris, I was looking forward to pictures and feeling jealous ;D
I loved the picture. Picturing Landon's bear sailing past the window had me laughing out loud!
I am with Tonnie on this one- plant something to break his fall:) Oh my goodness Lisa- I might thing about bars on the windows. Good luck! Your pictures are so cute!
Looove to hear that you are suffering too. I love this post, it made me laugh which was in definite need. Payton saw a picture of Brayden in his room and said he misses his best buddy. He was sad to hear that he wont see him for a few years so I showed him your blog. I hope everyone stays in one piece and we miss you guys!
Just reading this story recreated a sense of frustration for me! I flashed back to recent "hiding" experiences, or getting out Grant's carseat to freely wander around the car, or the kids piling up chairs and etc to get to some hidden candy.
Have you tried my vinegar hierarchy? It kind of works for us.. or the threat does atleast.
Level 1: Vanilla extract - tastes disgusting- 1/2 tsp or so, however, my kids got used to it, and it wasn't that motivating- go to level 2 when this happens.
Level 2: Vinegar: nasty stuff on its own. However its very good for you, so don't feel guilt. I use a small medicine cup- I start with 1/2 tsp and then add more at each 5 second increment- pretty soon I have my kids running to take the vinegar because they know I'll add more. Go to level 3 if not strong enough ( Grace started sassing and saying she likes "salt and vinegar chips" so she doesnt' mind vinegar- Level 3 and 4 were invented for her
Level 3: Hot sauce- tabasco - grant is deathly afraid of this, however, sassy grace, not so much. So, we now have Level 4-
Level 4: Dry Mustard ( the spice). Nasty nasty on your tongue. I just make her stick out her tongue and I put some on her tonuge. Tastes yucky. Sor far we're at this level.
Maybe this might work for you? I use it for lying and sassy talk.
Don't report me, this isn't hurting them.
Ashley Northam
Post a Comment